☝️ Subscribe now and get this newsletter delivered to you every weekend.
Welcome to the 7th issue. Follow us on Twitter to get more articles from amazing developers that we cant cover here. If you have any feedback on how the newsletter can be improved, you can drop an email to email@example.com.
Stay safe and keep coding 👨💻👩💻
🔥Top News & Activites
- Apple online store is not available in India 🇮🇳 - Apple launched the Indian online store on September 23 (Official blog with Indian themes).
- "Face with spiral eyes" is how we are all feeling - New emoji approved to help express the anguish of 2020
- All developers will get the new Google Play Console on November 2, 2020 - With over 350,000 people now using it as their default experience and thousands more providing feedback, the new Play Console is ready to come out of beta. This means that the old Play Console will be discontinued starting November 2, 2020. After this date, you’ll be automatically directed to the new Play Console when you log into your account.
- Introducing Swift on Windows - The Swift project is introducing new downloadable Swift toolchain images for Windows! These images contain development components needed to build and run Swift code on Windows.
- The story behind Paytm App’s de-listing from Google Play Store - On Friday, 18 September 2020, India’s most preferred payments and financial services app – Paytm was temporarily removed from the Google Play Store. Here is the blog/statement about the issue by Paytm.
- Announcing Flutter Windows Alpha - Native Windows app compilation, some early plugins, and a desktop-ready Flutter Gallery app
- OnePlus 8T launch event set for Oct 14 - It’s promising ‘a range of new and improved technologies’
- Apple Schoolwork 2.1 beta release - The latest version of Schoolwork, the powerful iPad app for teachers and students that helps them keep track of assignments and student progress, is now available
- Epic, Spotify, Tile and more form Coalition for App Fairness - A number of big developers who object to Apple’s App Store policies have jointly formed the Coalition for App Fairness, a non-profit intended to coordinate efforts to do battle with Apple. Founding members include Epic Games, Spotify and Tile, each of which is involved in high-profile disputes with the iPhone maker.
- All-new Outlook for Mac app coming in October with Big Sur-inspired design and more. On another news, Outlook for iOS and Android is getting emoji email reactions, voice commands, and more
- Github default branch changes from
mainfrom October 1 on all new repositories - read more about this here.
🍎 iOS Articles
- What's new in Swift 5.3
- Understanding how DispatchQueue.sync can cause deadlocks - Donny Wals
- Creating generic networking APIs in Swift - Swift by Sundell
- Binary frameworks as Swift Packages - Rad Azzouz in PSPDFKit blog
- Mastering ScrollView in SwiftUI - Swift with Majid
- Label - Federico Zanetello
- Launching iOS Apps with a Custom URL Scheme - Use your loaf
- [Tutorial] - How to save/export an image in Mac Catalyst - Sarun W
- [ Blog Series ] - Building a Collection for SwiftUI: Introduction, Part 1 - Mimicking Collections in SwiftUI , Part 2: SwiftUI Collection Implementation, Part 3: Fixes and Focus Management
- 🔊[Podcast] - Translating designs into code - John Sundell with special guest Jordan Singer
- 🔊[Podcast] - Code Completion Episode 7 - Topics: iOS 14's rushed release, New Features in Swift 5.3, The A14 making it's debut on iPad before iPhone, The return of Touch ID on the iPad's top button, The new Apple One subscription service.
- 🔊[Podcast] - Stacktrace - Building responsive app UIs, the launch of iOS 14, and thoughts on the Apple One bundle and some of its international pricing.
- 📺SwiftUI 2.0 Life Cycle - Kilo Loco
🤖 Android Articles
- The real size of Android objects 📏- Py
- Getting to know RecyclerView - Meghan Mehta in Android Developers
- Five Useful Kotlin Extensions you may use - Mohammed Hemaid in Pro Android Dev
- Improve Your Game with Texture Compression Format Targeting - Yafit Becher & Dan Galpin in Android Developers Blog
- Now in Android - Chet Haase in Android Developers
- How RecyclerView works internally? - Niharika Arora
- Hold on ✋🏻 Before you Dagger or Hilt! try this Simple DI - Chetan Garg in Pro Android Dev
- Create Hello World App with KMM 📱- Android & iOS - Aman Bansal
- 📺[Video] Improve your game with texture format targeting - Android Game Dev Show - Dan Galpin in Android Developers
- React Native Vs Flutter: What truly is good for you? - Seventh Dev
- Expo SDK 39 is now available - Jess in Expo
- How to create onboarding screens with React Native ViewPager - Aman Mittal
- Adopting React Native as a web developer - Jacob Aagaard
- React native end to end testing on CircleCI - Jeevan Kishore
- Best react native templates 2020. - Pablo Discobar
- Using React Hook Form with react-native - Part I (set up & validation) - Sankhadeep Roy
- Handling web gestures in Flutter - Jose Alba in Flutter
- Real-time Image classification using Tensorflow Lite and Flutter - Marcos Carlomagno in Analytics Vidhya
- 14 Latest Apps built using Flutter framework - Milind Mevada in Solute Labs
- Widget Magnifier - Marc Gerken
- Google Cloud Platform and Flutter Mini-Course released! - Jermaine Oppong in Creative Bracket
- Adding text selection action in Android for Flutter apps - Karthikeyan S
- 📺Video Series: Sandbox Sessions by Avdi Grimm - Creating a Flutter app that takes donations for feeding penguins in Square Developers.
🛠️ Dev tools & Open source Libraries
- SwiftUICharts - A simple line and bar charting library that supports accessibility written using SwiftUI.
- Open-source Maintainers' Must haves - Dharmen Shah
- Prototypr Publisher - Prototypr publisher is an editor created for designers and coders to publish (or republish) articles on an open platform for anyone to read.
- AppFollow - Your timely responseto the needs of the mobile market
- Pory - Turn your Airtable data into a website in minutes without code
📈Must read Dev blogs
- 📺Top 5 Pieces of Advice for Aspiring and Learning Developers - James Q Quick
- Github Mobile & GraphQL - Hesham Salman in The Github Blog
- Typography basics and best practices for software developers - Zean Qin
- You are important & so is your Mental Health! - Ayushi Rawat
🚀New App Launches
- Calendar (iOS, Android) - Be more Productive. Save time. Focus.
- Widgetly (iOS) - Customize your home screen
- Cool & Calm - Simple Weather (iOS) - Cool & Calm is an easy to use weather app, with a simple user interface. See all relevant data for today and get informed about the next few days.
- Aviary (iOS) - Aviary is a beautiful Twitter client built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It's simple enough to pick up and use immediately, and powerful enough to tweak it just the way you want.
🎤 Events & Webinars
- Sep 30 (Virtual) - App Growth Submit Brasil 2020
- [Cancelled] iOSDevUK
- [Postponed to 2021] - App Dev Con Netherlands
- Oct 1 - (Virtual) Deep Linking in React Native - Free
- Oct 2 - FrenchKit, Pan Pier, Paris (65€)
- Oct 6 - 9 (Virtual) - UXDX (€225 to €600)
- Oct 8 - 9 (Virtual) - droidCON EMEA
- Oct 8 - 9 (Virtual, Call for Paper) - Pragma Conference 2020
- Oct 8 - 9 (Virtual) - Google Assistant Developer Day - Free
- Oct 12 - 16 (Virtual) - Kotlin 1.4 Event - Join for a deep dive into the latest release, and mingle with the JetBrains Kotlin team!
- Oct 21 (Virtual) - App Growth Summit SF 2020
- [Cancelled] - Swift Leeds
- Nov 3 - 4 - MobileOne
- Nov 9 - 17 - HXLive (£99, with discounts on bulk booking)
- Nov 10 - 11 - Smashing Conference (Early Bird $175, then $225)
- Nov 11 - 14 - Mobius (11500 ₽ to 46000 ₽)
- Nov 18 - App Growth Summit Singapore 2020
- Core iOS Developer (Swift) - Light Inc, Tokyo, JP - Visa Sponsorship
- Android Engineer (Part-time) - Prairy, Chicago - Temporary position
- Full Stack Mobile Engineer - Radius, NY. Remote till Mid 2021
- React/React Native Developer - CyberCoders - 100% Remote
For frequent job updates, follow us on Twitter.
That's it, folks. Hope you enjoyed the article. If you like to support my work on this, consider buying a coffee for me. It would be a great help.